Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Why Take A Photo?


Why Take A Photo?


There are almost as many reasons to snap a picture as there are people to push the shutter release. Most obvious is to show something to someone. But, will it be shown on the web, in a photo album, in a print on a wall, in a newsletter, some other dead tree publication, or all of the above? Must it stand alone or be part of a collection, group or set? Is it to create emotion or to do something more literal?

Other, not so obvious, reasons to push that shutter release is to force yourself to learn a new skill or perhaps to train yourself to see different things or old things in new ways.  There are people who don't care about the picture at all, but the act of seeing what to take is enough.  It opens their minds and eyes and who cares about the viewers.

Now with all that in mind I'll show some pictures taken for different purposes. These days I take bird photos mostly. I take them to improve my birding skills and so I will enjoy nature more.  I could never hope to make great and unique pictures that others would flock to see.  There are too many experts and their equipment is so good (and expensive), that I would be very lucky to get such a photo. Here are 2 pictures taken on walks. I may have never identified or even seen the American Goldfinch or the Sandpiper if I had not been taking pictures. 


….

Here are more examples of pictures taken, not for the sake of display, but just because. I have a relative that has over 40,000 pictures posted on Flickr.  He carries his camera everywhere and constantly pulls it out, be he shopping or dog walking or visiting relatives. He almost never edits and he seldom holds back because of errors like out-of-focus. Here is a link to some of his public Flickr account. Look for yourself.


  What are his motives?




1 comment: